Powered By Blogger

Friday 25 October 2013

Open Air School prize giving



Today I attended the prize giving at the Open Air School. For those who do not know the school it is an LSEN (Learners with Special Needs) school. The special needs are all physically related and it was wonderful to see how little they allow their physical problem to impact their life. The school motto is "I can and I will." A motto that the learners take to heart. Last year I taught there for four weeks after being severely traumatised by a gang of pupils in a so called "normal" school. The teachers had a running battle with a lot of the children who were in Grade 8 (Std 6) and Grade 9 (Std 7). These pupils (South Africa declares they must be called learners however that implies that they take some responsibility for their school work. This was not done.) Teachers have to battle with violence in the class (I had a near strangulation take place) total lack of work ethic and jeering at any pupil who did try to co-operate or who was different in any way. They did not care what you, the teacher had to offer – you were not wanted. Only the young sexy teachers were tolerated but their ears frequently burned with the sexual innuendos muttered in their presence. Once they reached Grade 10 (Std 8) a semblance of normality became a bit wider spread but there were still problems and these problems were bigger because the kids were bigger.
So now back to the Open Air School. In my four weeks they took me in and very soon realised that I had a lot to offer them. They co-operated, they learnt, they chatted, they flooded the room during break time. These children who have such physical problems – problems I cannot even imagine – worked cheerfully. Their sense of humour was finely tuned, they laughed together. They did not laugh at one another – they laughed with each other. A more able bodied learner would always help those who were having difficulty in some way. The blind were helped along by the sighted, the wheelchairs were wheeled by the hard of hearing. In the classroom the sight challenged would be helped by the amputee. The deaf child would watch the teachers lips and get help from neighbouring children. They CARE for each other. No child was considered strange or inferior to their class mates. They met on equal footing of being somewhat out of the ordinary – not special – their disability became abilities to do things in a different way – helping each other find the right way for them. This almost makes them sound angelic. They were in a way! But they could be as mischievous as little devils if they wished. The big thing is – I never saw malice. I visit there frequently as I do their web site and the kids still remember me and greet me with HUGE smiles and waves. They are polite and friendly – not familiar. I count myself blessed to have had even just a short time with them.
Today: The tears were hovering in the corner of my eyes too frequently. I wasn't sad. I was touched. Admiration streamed forth as child after child took their place in the line to get their prizes. Some were led due to sight impairments; Some were helped in their wheelchairs; Some walked clumsily on their crutches; some dragged useless limbs behind them as they walked to get their prize. One young boy lurched across the stage to receive a trophy that was bigger than him. His unstable hands battled to take hold of it. All the while a beautiful smile lit up his face. He never stopped smiling. He also got the most prestigious trophy for the child who helped others, was always cheerful and would go out of his way to be pleasant and nice to others. I am afraid the tears trickled a little further out of my eyes. And then the was the choir. These angelic voiced children sang 3 songs. The Prayer nearly dissolved me into tears. The school song is also very moving.
Thank you for a beautiful experience. I can't wait to receive all the information and photos that I need for your web site. www.openairschool.co.za
Open Air School thank you for making me humble – tonight I can really thank God for His blessings.
These children helped inspire my book which is being launched on 27th November – "Full Circle" 

No comments:

Post a Comment