Powered By Blogger

Saturday 5 October 2013

Darkest before the Dawn



The drive to the airport was stressful. The road works had slowed the traffic down. It took them fifteen minutes to travel two Kilometers. Sharon's mother, Louise tried to soothe her.

"I'm so glad that we left half an hour earlier than we had to," she said.

"This traffic is disgusting! Louise, what possessed the people in the know to move the airport so far up the coast. Why couldn't the necessary road works have been completed before the move?" grumbled Sharon's father, Des.

"Its fine!" said Sharon. "As long as we get there in time I don't mind. I have more time to spend with you."

There was silence while they waited for the traffic jam to clear.

"Mom," said Sharon in a worried tone. "Am I doing the right thing? Moving so far away from you and Dad? Moving to a city where I know no-one?"

"Sharon," said her dad. "Do you remember when you applied for the job? We had a family discussion and we all agreed that we would leave it in the lap of the gods. The company obviously liked your portfolio."

"Yeah, but Dad I have never lived away from home."

"Sharon!" exclaimed her mom. "You lived in res for your entire course at Durban University of Technology!"

"Yes, but you were an hour away. If I got homesick for the little house on the beach I could drive home to visit."

"Gee Louise, How long is the plane trip to Jo'burg? I thought it was less than an hour!" exclaimed Des.

"Oh no! My baby is travelling soooo far away!" Her mother pretended to weep copiously.

"Aw you're both nuts! And that's why I love you so much." Sharon couldn't help giggling comfortably in the back of the car. "Dad please switch the air con on. It's getting hot waiting for this traffic to sort itself out."

"I can't believe it!" exclaimed Louise. "Look at all these people wandering around. That one's selling cell phone chargers and licence holders!"

"Need some loo rolls mom?" giggled Sharon.

"No but I could use some black bags!"

"I think Durban is the only place where you can do your shopping while you wait for a traffic jam to clear!" laughed Des.

"But seriously Sharon," said her dad. "If for any reason you need to come home you know that your room will be there waiting for you. No phone call necessary unless you need a lift from the airport. Ah! At last! We're moving more that 10 Kilometres an hour! And now I think we're off!"

"I know Dad! I'm just feeling nervous!"

"I think it's perfectly fine for you to feel nervous," said her mom. "I am going to miss you. I'm going to miss our chats on the veranda steps in the early morning, nursing our coffee and watching the gulls on the beach."

"And stretching our toes in the sand below the last step," added Sharon

"Yes! But I know it's time for you to go and if you want to be a successful illustrator you need to start in a big city. Our little village will not help you. One day when you are famous you may be able to live close to us and submit your work over the internet but now you need to make a name for yourself."

"And there's always Face Book and Skype, my love," added her father.

"You know you two are great! How did I get so lucky?"

"You choose us!" chorused Louise and Des!

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading more installations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharleen!,
    I had written this as a short story but it has been suggested that the theme is too large for a short story. It needs to be expanded into a full length! So I am busy doing that!

    ReplyDelete