Powered By Blogger

Sunday 6 October 2013

My Della and Easter stories



I have written 5 stories for kiddies aged 0 to 8. From 0 to 6 mom and dad can read them from 7 to 8 they can read them by themselves. I have been criticised for using words that are too big. I never talked baby talk to my kids and I don't intend to do it in my stories. Most of the time when I use a big word the explanation is built into the text. If it isn't what a wonderful opportunity for a parent or teacher to extend the child! As I am also an educator I like this aspect. I initially wrote them as private stories for my 3 year old granddaughter. My son requested that I publish them. She is now 7 and still loves them!

These stories have been published as separate hard copy books and I am thinking of making them all into one book. They are also available on Smashwords and on a variety of sites as e-books. (Kobo, Diesel, Sony etc.)

Here is a sample of one these stories (Illustrations done by my wonderfully talented Manuela Cardiga):

The Bird Project

 
Della was sitting quietly at school looking at the beautiful pictures of the sea in one of the books in her classroom. As she turned the page she saw a picture of a bird flying in the air above the sea.
She knew it was called a seagull. Last Sunday Mummy and Daddy had taken Della to the seaside. While they were picking up shells at the edge of the sea, Daddy had pointed out a seagull.

Her daddy explained, “Della, that bird is called a seagull. It lives on anything it can find. Sometimes it finds food on the beach or in the rocks but it can also swoop low over the sea to catch fish to eat.”
Excitedly Della went to her teacher with the book.

“Look Miss Brown, this is a seagull like the one I told you about on Monday.”

“Della,” said Miss Brown. “You have given me a lovely idea!”

Miss Brown clapped her hands to get everybody's attention.

“Class, our project for the next few weeks will be to find out what we can about the birds we see in our gardens or when we go shopping or visiting other places.

“You will collect pictures from newspapers and magazines and you are to find out all you can about the bird in your picture. Please remember to ask for permission before cutting out any pictures! Together we will make a mural of the pictures.”

Lily put up her hand, “Miss Brown, what is a mural?”

“It is a big picture that will cover most of the back wall of the classroom. All of you will help to make it. If it is well done I will find out if I can take you on an outing to the bird park.”

2 comments:

  1. Love it Vera. The critics probably don't know what the "big" words mean themselves. Ignore them and continue to be your awesome self.

    ReplyDelete