Powered By Blogger

Monday 7 October 2013

Computer life experiences



When I was young (computer speaking) I was introduced to DOS and Word Perfect for DOS. I soon transferred over to Word for DOS as it was more “friendly” but I still felt like an infant who had been pushed into 1st year university. There were very few people who could help me and I was left all alone, ploughing through and trying to find help. Somewhere I heard about the alt key. I tried it and eventually discovered that alt + F gave me the file menu! Wow things started to fall in place. Then I saw Lisa (Apple)! What was that thing on the side? A mouse???? - Wow look at those graphics! Of course Bill looked, saw and borrowed!
And so our GUI was born! Then came office 97

Now (computer speaking) I was in High school –time to explore. I found that Alt still worked but once I had conquered the rodent, my computer experience blossomed! I could have as much or as little as I wanted as far as tools were concerned. I could implement a tool bar and then get rid of it! I still had quite a lot of work space (a bit less than DOS allowed but GUI more than made up for it!). I was adventurous and my world expanded! Office 2000 irritated a bit. Why did the task pane pinch so much of my screen? But PowerPoint had prepared me for this with its task pane. Close when not needed. Simple!

Now with Office 7 I realised that (computer speaking) I had entered Grade 1. Everything was soooo big! And I had a smaller area for my work! I felt insecure. I needed my blankie but my kitty would do. Where is he? He had become my constant companion. He was alert when I needed him to be alert. He saved all my work in a filing cabinet and even stamped out my printed copies for me. When he got bored he curled up and went to sleep, purring! Now when I needed him most I could not find him!

The thought suddenly occurred to me – “As I am getting older in my computer life I am regressing. Horrors! Is that happening in my personal life as well??? Is my second childhood looming?”

Another thought: toolbars in high school. Yeah - fiddle around, experiment – suitable for the age group. Ribbons in grade 1? Yep. My mom always tied my hair back with ribbons!

No comments:

Post a Comment