Powered By Blogger

Sunday 13 October 2013

"In the Twinkling of an Eye"



Extract From teen graphic novel - "In the Twinkling of an Eye"

 “Ta-Da!” says Shocks pointing to a mini van. It’s black with yellow, red and orange flames on the sides, starting small by the front doors and expanding out till it covers the entire back area. At the back a beautiful nude angel rises out of the flames.


“I’m in heaven” yells Rishie.

Steve is so choked up he can hardly speak, “Itsh beautiful man, jusht about the mosht beautifullest thing I have ever sheen” he sobs.

Sara screams “I want to ride, ride, ride!”

Sanity strikes me “Who can drive it?”

A chorus drowns out anything else I want to say. “Aw come on! Anyone can drive it. You can!”

“No I can’t. I don’t have a license, I’m too young and I’ve been drinking. We all have.”

I am driving it,” says Shocks “I found it so I will drive it.”

Even though my head is a bit fuzzy, that didn’t sound right but I didn’t question it.

One after the other we climb in. It’s stuffy and we are squashed like sardines. We cruise down the freeway, yelling out the windows and sun roof. Soon we’re in a quieter part of town - a part where drag races are often held. There are two cars waiting.

Everyone tumbles out, shrieking with laughter and falling about. I am the last one to climb out. I don’t like the way the evening’s going so I decide to hang back and watch.  I don’t want to get involved.

I see Sara tear off her red skirt and fling it in the air.
“I want to be the flag” she shrieks, not at all ashamed to be standing in the briefest pair of panties I had ever seen. I’m so embarrassed for her but everyone else thinks it’s funny.

Shocks grabs Rishie and they cross the road and walk towards the drivers of the two cars. Money appears and is given to Rishie. Rishie puts the money in his pocket as he crosses the road to stand next to me
The three cars are in a row revving their engines, waiting for Sara. She circles her skirt above her head and then drops it. As the cars speed off on either side of her, she jumps up and down screaming in excitement. The others caper around her like idiots. They look so stupid as they dance and sprawl around in the middle of the road. Rolling around like fools! Huge gales of laughter erupt from the sprawling mass of bodies.

Illustrations by Manuela Cardiga 

Available at Amazon and Smashwords

No comments:

Post a Comment