Powered By Blogger

Saturday 8 March 2014

Sinfonia Experience – Day 8 – 1st March.

We apparently docked at about midnight so our last sleep was mostly in Durban harbour.


When we woke up a final account was on our door. I knew I was in credit. From about 6am I stood in line to collect my remaining $20. As we waited for the queue to progress we chatted to others in the queue.  The MSC card is not like a credit card. You can spend and spend and spend. If you don't keep a check on your expenses your final account can be horrific. One poor lady apparently found an account for $2000. I thought of my card like a credit card and I have a horror of handing it over and being told it is maxed out so I always keep a tight check on balances. This is how I ended up with a credit!


After a final visit to the restaurant and one last goodbye we disembarked. Saying goodbye to friends made on board was a bit hard but we are in Facebook and phone contact.


So what are my final thoughts?


It was probably the best experience of my life and I would love to repeat it. And this coming from someone who was viewing the cruise with the greatest trepidation! The only other time I was on board anything I did not make it out of the harbour before feeding the fishes. I was scared of spending 7 days on my bed in my cabin but I wanted to see my granddaughter before she went to Italy and I wanted to enjoy special time with my family.


I enjoyed having no contact with anything in South Africa or the world. The world could have ended and we wouldn't be any the wiser. My cell phone was off, I did not watch the news channel on the TV in our cabin, I did not use the ships internet (It was too costly!) so no Facebook or e-mails. I did not see a newspaper. I saw no newspaper headlines. The ugly underbelly of the world was only evident when we went ashore and that was so localised. I was in a secure little bubble that the ugliness of world could not touch or invade – an ideal place for someone like me who has tremendous ostrich tendencies.


I am sad that the trip has ended but I am richer for it. I want to thank my granddaughter Cristen for making this a possibility – without you I would not have experienced the peace that the trip gave me. I want to run away to sea and I can see what an attraction this life has for you even though you work your butt off. The ship forms a microcosm that caters to the individual. If you wanted to relax all day and all night you could. If you wanted to be endlessly entertained, you could. If you wanted to be buffeted by crowds all day long you could. If you wanted to be alone with your thoughts there were many places where this could happen.


Stephen your dream team is so well named. Lovely people headed by a man who holds a special place in my heart even though we don't connect often. The catering staff – I never saw a sour face. You were all lovely. The people I met over breakfast and lunch – thank you for a glimpse into your world.
 
The world would be a better place if we could expand this microcosm to fill the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment