Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 5 March 2014

Sinfonia Experience – Day 5 – 26th February.




Today I had a private dance lesson! All the other guests had gone ashore. I learnt couple steps which didn't happen much during the on-board lessons. They were much more geared to line dancing or solo styles.

We had docked in Fort Dauphin in the early hours of the morning.  There was not much to see if you had not booked an excursion so we had decided to go ashore at 1 o'clock. The market place was about 300m away but walking in the unprotected harbour areas was forbidden. There was a shuttle service to the market place – a misnomer if ever there was one. It was a small enclosed area with about 12 stalls. The shuttle dropped you at the gate and the gate was manned by two security guards from Madagascar. As you approached the gates the beggars tried to besiege you but they were warded off by the guards. One other guard wandered around the stalls. As you walked you were jostled and approached with hands extended. It was too depressing. Worse than anything I had ever seen in South Africa. I couldn't wait to get back on board. 

Leanne, Wayne, Carma and Kai were going to go to the beach after they saw us safely onto the shuttle. We got back and about 10 minutes later Leanne and family arrived back. They complained that to get to the beach you had to walk through a barrage of human's all begging. They turned tail and caught the next shuttle back.

I had a lovely relaxing afternoon culminating in watching the ship leave the harbour. The sideway movement of the ship was almost imperceptible. It seemed to glide away from the dock. As we were leaving I could see lightning in the distance. At the harbour mouth the open sea was up to its usual tricks, bucking and rolling!

That night the show featured a guy on a unicycle and another balancing act.

After the show I went up to deck 11 to see what was happening. As I got out the lift I heard strange lapping sounds. As I opened the door to deck 11 a stream of water cascaded towards me (okay it was a small stream!) and as the ship rolled the stream rolled away. It was pouring with rain and once again we were in fairly high seas which still managed to rock me into dream land!

No comments:

Post a Comment