Powered By Blogger

Sunday 2 March 2014

Sinfonia Experience – Day 2 – 23rd February.




This morning we dropped anchor off shore near Portuguese Island. The seas were extremely rough. In order to get ashore you had to board a Zodiac (a large rubber dingy seating an impossible number of people). Yesterday we had lifeboat drill on deck 6. So I went to deck 6 to view the embarkation. Wow those guys work hard, lifting and plonking people of all weights, ages and sizes into a bouncing boat! Inside the boat they were assisted by two more guys as the dingy rocked and rolled on the sea. I realised mom would not be able to handle that day and decided to stay on board with her. 

Lunch the previous day had been a buffet where we were truly buffeted around by the hordes (2000 odd people – some decidedly odd!). We got to the breakfast buffet as they were closing to go ashore. I plaintively asked "What about us?" We were told we could go to the restaurant. What bliss! The buffet lines were non existent and we discovered that we could order from the menu!

After breakfast I had a brisk walk around the ship, worked for 1 hour and then went to the pool deck for a dance lesson. We learnt the Salsa – basic steps in line dance style. As a lot of people were ashore there were only a few of us there. Soon afterwards it was lunch. Now we knew. We went down and were taken to a table with other people and struck up a conversation with them – something I could never do at home – I would always wait until I was asked something – now I initiated the conversation.

I had done some research before coming on board and saw that they catered for gluten problems. I ventured to ask the waiter. He said just wait and called the maitre de on duty. He went through the menu for (not with) me and told me what I could have. I was presented with a lovely hot big gluten free roll. At the end of the meal they asked what dessert We would like. Mom said Ice cream and I said "For me as well." "No!" said the waiter. "Let me check." He came back with ice cream for mom and a jelly for me! He told me "No ice cream. Jelly!" so jelly I had.

Mom went up to sleep and I went down to what was to become my favourite hidey hole. Deck 6. There were no chairs but the view was magnificent and when the Zodiacs returned I could view the comedy again. It was not so eventful now. The guests were a bit more comfortable and the weather had started to co-operate. I also had a brisk walk around the walking/running circuit on deck 12. Once around is about ½ km.

That night I asked for a gluten free roll but did not ask for help with the menu. The food is fabulous. So far I have had curry three times out of five meals.

Stephen's one man show was excellent.

The ship rocked me to sleep for the best night's sleep in I don't know how long. I had taken a sleeping tablet but I wondered if I really needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment