Powered By Blogger

Friday 13 September 2013

"Deck the halls …"

When I was growing up my grandparents owned Christmas. They were UK traditionalists as far as the party aspect was concerned. My father always complained that this food was not meant to be eaten on a hot South African day.

I have tried to see when the "Christmas in July" tradition started in South Africa. It seems to have just evolved about 15 years ago. One of the Drakensberg resorts seems to be ideally suited as the originator of the idea. A host of restaurants, other resorts were soon offering specials. Personal parties also soon became the fashion. The weather was colder, the food more suited to a winter's celebration. That I can accept.

A short while ago I heard of a "Christmas in August" party. I thought that maybe this was taking things just a bit far until I entered a supermarket on the 2nd September. As I rounded the corner into the next aisle I was brought up short. I couldn't believe my eyes. There was a display of Christmas crackers. As my eyes travelled up the aisle I saw shelves and shelves of Christmas decoration and Christmas trees. I decided to text a few photos to my daughter. Her comment summed up my reaction to "Christmas in September"!
It was ***puke***!


    

No comments:

Post a Comment