Powered By Blogger

Saturday 10 July 2021

The Stranger


I stood on the deck of the cruise ship. The wind blowing through my carefully coiffured hair. For once this did not worry me. I enjoyed feeling the wind’s fingers caressing my scalp as all the tension in my body melted away. I had come to the deck seeking a solution to my problems. If none was presented then a quick slip over the railings and I would be free.

The wind was now like a soft caress. My face was gently fingered and the stress lines on my face were softened.

I watched the sea as the wake of the boat caused white droplets to fly to freedom. If only that was possible. Freedom. Freedom from all the nonsense that surrounded my life.

I was suddenly aware that I was no longer alone. A gentleman dressed in white stood next to me.

“This is the life,” he said.

My eyes narrowed as I turned to face him “If you say so,” I said snidely.

“Yes I do. The wind, the sea, the peace and tranquillity. It is all there for you to take into your being, into your life.”

“What do you know of my life?” I asked still uptight about his intrusion.

“You have problems that need a solution,” he said.

“How can you presume I have problems?”

“Everyone has problems. It is what makes us appreciative of all we have.”

“You talk in riddles,” I complained.

“Not so,” he replied. “Look at the sea, look far to the horizon, It appears that sea and sky are one. It is hard to see the defining lines. When we stand inside a problem or problems we cannot distinguish where the problem ends and our quiet life takes over. We need to step back, immerse ourselves in nature, in the universe and then our problems will appear so insignificant.”

“Some are overwhelming,” I muttered.

“I’m sorry that you are overwhelmed. Instead of giving yourself to the sea let’s see how the sea can help you.”

“What do you mean giving myself up to the sea?”

“If you slip into the sea you will leave your problems to be picked up by friends and family.”

“I’m not thinking that,” I said defensively.

“Really?” he replied and then fell silent.

He stared at the sea and sky and I was struck by his serene face.

The silence stretched between us until I couldn’t stand it anymore.

“Okay. You are right. I have insurmountable problems.”

“No problem is insurmountable. You are making the mistake of looking at everything and finding a solution to nothing.”

I turned to him and his outline seemed to be shimmering and I was struck by his clothes. Before I had just seen white now I saw that he was dressed in a type of robe. Not the sort of attire that suited a cruise ship but on him it sat well.

Before I fully realised what I was doing I asked “So what do you suggest?”

“Think of one problem. Only one. Don’t allow the others to plague you. Now close your eyes and listen to your breath. Calm it down. The slower it is the clearer your insight will be. Look at the problem from all sides while you relax and breathe.”

A few seconds later he urged me to open my eyes and look at the horizon.

“There is a saying that on a clear day you can see forever. It is clear today, can you see right through your problem?”

“I think so. It may take a lot of work but I think so.”

“Things that come easily are never appreciated. Okay select another problem and let’s do the exercise again.”

He led me to the solution without even knowing the problem. This happened a third and a fourth time but when I opened my eyes he was no longer there but I got a whisper on the wind “You can do this.”

© Vera Alexander

4 comments:

  1. Gosh. I love this. Thank you! It's funny how we let ourselves allow all our problems-big and small-to swirl around in our minds all at once. Rather than taking them one by one. 🙂

    ReplyDelete