Powered By Blogger

Sunday 18 July 2021

The Green Dress

The emerald green dress sparkled in the shop window. Laura stood mesmerised. It was beautiful. She moved slightly to the left, then slightly to the right, fascinated by the sparkles as she moved. She could only imagine how it would look as she moved around in it. She knew it would bring out the green of her eyes and complement her auburn hair. She always looked good in green.

She didn’t have to check her wallet or her bank cards. She just knew that she couldn’t afford it as no price was displayed. They do that so you won’t be put off before entering the store. Once in, they had you, if not for that dress then maybe another sale could happen.

Laura was shopping for a new, hopefully stunning and reasonable outfit for a hot date to a larny event.

She braved the doorway and made her way in. An assistant came up to her and snootily looked down her nose.

“Can I help you?”

“Yes please. I would like to try on that dress in the window.”

With an audible sigh the assistant went to the rack and extracted two dresses.

“I wasn’t sure of your size but you can see which fits.”

Laura grabbed the dresses and went in to the change room.

When she came out the assistant gasped. The gasp was echoed as a man stepped out of the office. Laura was startled as she had not known he was there.

“Oh my dear, I never thought my creation would look so good. Come, come to me. Turn around. Oh so lovely.”

“Yes, but how much? I love it and am so scared I can’t afford it.”

“Is it for a special date?”

“Yes. It’s a larny occasion with a hot date.”

“I tell you what. I’ll give it to you.”

“Oh no! I couldn’t possibly accept.”

“Yes you can. You will do something for me. I’m Njabula I own this store and I design the dresses. You will wear it to that event and to any other place you choose. When people compliment you, you will tell them where you got it and that Njabula will design anything they need just as Njabula designed this dress for you. It’s a bit of a lie but when I see you in it, I realise I did design it for you. You are beautiful my darling and I know you are going to help get my name out there.”

Laura blushed and shyly accepted the offer.

2 comments:

  1. Even though, I had to look up larny, it's a neat story. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Larny is very Durban as it is a popular term with the Indian population.

    ReplyDelete