Powered By Blogger

Thursday 7 November 2013

Addictions



For some reason today my thoughts turned to addictions.

Addiction takes many forms. Some people are addicted to the predictable things like drugs and alcohol. Others are addicted to food, shopping, watching soapies, craving affection and love.

I know of many women who have more shoes than there are days in the year. They see a picture of a new style and they have to have it. And they have to have it in every conceivable colour. Why? You can only wear one pair of shoes at a time. I am a women and I hate it when the acquisition of shoes is viewed as a "woman thing". If a pair of shoes is comfortable I will wear it day in and day out. When I was a young sexy (hopefully the guys weren't lying!) thing I used to wear stiletto heels – I taught in stiletto heels but I still only had a sensible number of shoes – 4 maybe 5 (and that included the sloppy ones I wore around the house). I did not need more. Is the acquisition of shoes an addiction? I think it is.

My first personal thoughts on this topic were "Nah! I'm not addicted to anything." But suddenly, out of my subconscious, popped the thought, "I'm addicted to dance." And then fast on the heels of that thought, "I'm addicted to writing." I know I can survive a few days without one or the other but very soon I start to get itchy feet and/or itchy fingers.

So what is an addiction and what makes a person an addict? I went to my reliable internet source – the freedictionary. Do you know that the word addict has its roots in the phrase "to award as a slave"? Transcribing this to the modern world infers that an addict is a slave to their addiction. This now begins to make a bit more sense.

From here my thoughts travelled to the word "Fan". This is short for "Fanatic" – a person who is motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm for a cause. This word comes from the Latin fanaticus (inspired by orgiastic rights) (Again my heartfelt thanks to the freedictionary)

My weird mind has now taken this leap – If you are a fan then you must be an addict.

Logical or not?

2 comments:

  1. I am with you on the shoes's issue. I have a few pairs but only seem to wear one or two of the. Picked a pair last night that were the most uncomfortable shoes ever. Pretty but bad news. As for additions, reading has to be mine. I love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too Sharleen! But I unfortunately seem to have so little time to devote to it nowadays!

    ReplyDelete