Powered By Blogger

Friday 22 October 2021

Life is a journey, not a destination

 Woman sitting on mountain top and contemplating beautiful view - Stock  Video Footage - Dissolve

Mary sat at the top of the mountain, legs dangling over the edge. Simon stood as far from the edge as possible, staring uncomfortably at Mary. Joan was laying out the picnic on a flat piece of ground, and Alec was transporting the beers, food, and blankets from the car.

Simon called out to Mary, “Mary, don’t do that. It’s dangerous.”

“It's exciting, Simon. Come and join me!”

“Not on your life. It will be my life on the line. I have vertigo. I will want to throw myself off. How can you be so calm?”

“Heights don’t worry me. They exhilarate me. Come on! Don’t take life so seriously.”

“Life is serious, Mary. You are so flippant. I can’t believe that you and I are such opposites, and yet our relationship works.”

“Your serious side is tempered by my rash side. We are Ying and Yang. We need each other.”

“Getting too philosophical there,” yelled Alec.

“Come on, you two. Food’s ready,” called Joan.

Mary started to get up, faked a stumble, and laughed at Simon’s sudden expression of fear.

“Simon, come on! It’s not my time yet.”

Simon grabbed her and held on tight.

“My journey would come to an end if I lost you,” he muttered.

© Vera Alexander

 

2 comments:

  1. That is some lovely writing and you must cling to the thought and spread the love.

    ReplyDelete