Powered By Blogger

Sunday 21 March 2021

The Capricious Sea

 


The mood of the sea can affect our moods. The sea is dictated to by the moon. I consist of so much water that the moon and in its turn the sea can affect me. It’s amazing to examine my mood every day and realise that so much of the sea is reflected in me. I think pf myself as a child of the sea.

I am fortunate to live on the beach. The stairs from my verandah sit firmly on the edge of the sand. As I sit on the second step from the bottom, my hands clutch the warm mug and my toes wiggle in the sand and the full moon shines on me, the sand and the sea. The ripples of the sea reflect the silver moon sparks. A total calmness creeps over me as I watch the sea. It seems as if the tide is coming in as the water is creeping closer to my house.

I love living on this almost paradise island. It is safe and it is beautiful but it is also exposed to the vagaries of the sea.

I haven’t witnessed it myself but I have been told that two years before I arrived, a tsunami all but destroyed the entire island. As the people took what shelter they could on the highest ground, they watched the destruction in front of them. Helpless to do anything but pray for their lives.

Industry and tenacity came in to play and by the time I arrived two years later there was no sign of the destruction but everyone has learned to treat the sea with respect.

© Vera Alexander

2 comments:

  1. What a privilege to live so close to the beautiful ocean. The moon and sea definitely affect our moods. The moon is said to be feminine and the sun masculine.

    ReplyDelete