Powered By Blogger

Sunday 1 March 2015

Music Fills My Soul



When I write, it is to music.

When I drive, I listen to music.

When I dance, I dance to music.

When I was little my father introduced me to classical music. We would listen to his choice of music for hours on end. I learned to love the gentle sound of classics, the thunderous music of Beethoven, the emotional music that flowed from Tchaikovsky's soul. The opera sounds of Verdi and Puccini and oh, many, many more. I would study while listening to classical music.

I did ballet, modern, tap, character, Greek and National dance and loved the music that came with each.

When I was a teenager, friends introduced me to pop. The hit parade had to be listened to on a Saturday afternoon while you started the process of getting ready for the party that night. I loved most of the music. Hard rock, pop, ballads and jive.

I went to see all the musicals that came out and loved every single one of them. I adore Andrew Lloyd Webber's music.

And so, as you can see I grew up with an extremely catholic taste in music.

It was only today that I came across the true reason for my dislike and fear of rap music. I knew that it scared me because of the thoughts behind the lyrics, I also knew that I disliked it because it had no sense of melodious rhythm, but today as I was driving, I pressed mute a few seconds after a rap started, and I verbalised "I hate it when someone shouts at me."

No comments:

Post a Comment