Powered By Blogger

Saturday 25 January 2014

English as she is spoke (or not!)



My father gained an education totally through his own efforts. His mother had never (to the best of my knowledge) worked. His father died when he was 2 and his older siblings were placed in a children's home. Life was hard for him but he grabbed at education and used it as a lifeline. He loved reading and introduced me to Charles Dickens at the age of 7.  He encouraged me to have a vast vocabulary. We would vie to find new words every day. Of course he always won! We listened (no TV then!) to programs that challenged the use of English. One of our favourites was "My Word". The talents of Frank Muir and Denis Nordon are legendary. We loved playing with words – puns and double entendre being firm favourites.

He hated it when people used swearing as an adjective. He maintained that swearing was a sign of a poor command of the English language. I shudder to think what he would say to the "new" means of communication. Being an ex-teacher I have many young people as Facebook friends. I am amused by some of the abbreviations and emoticons that are used but things are getting out of hand now. The following are sections of posts from these kids!

"dna weda to luv it coz …"  

"u knw y im …   "

"ncooh u guys luk …"

What on earth…? Look guys I love you but I would really like to understand what you are saying! We taught (tut?) you (u?) English (nglsh?) at school (skul?) please use it! It IS a beautiful language!
Okay so that is not the worst of it. I am now working for my publisher and now and then I have to type stories that children have written. Sometimes I wonder if I strayed into a foreign language. Once I nearly considered going for medical help as I had heard it was a symptom of a stroke if you couldn't understand what you were reading! Fortunately wiser counsels prevailed and I realised it is just the new "speak".

I know that English is an evolving language but I really don't like where it's headed!

No comments:

Post a Comment